WordPress has many backup plugins with each designed to meet different needs. Read on to find out which one of these five fits your needs.Having a backup may not be at the forefront of your to-do list when it should.The world is evolving technologically and so are the threats. Your web page is not airtight, as much as we’d want it to be. Threats such as hackers and malware are a risk we face every day. It is necessary to take steps in protecting sites information and data. This is where backups come in. You can be sure that whatever happens, you can still have your database back. WordPress has many backup tools to pick from, and in this article, we shall be looking at five of the most promising.
Table of Contents
UpdraftPlus is a free WordPress backup plugin that includes a premium plan if you are interested in an upgrade. The premium plan goes for between $70 and $145 with some added features. It boasts of great features such as choosing the location for the backup file or folder and supports multiple sites.
- This is free tool with a premium option.
- Most of the features are found in the free plan.
- Saving backups in remote secondary locations such as DropBox, Amazon S3, and Google Drive.
- The premium version has a multisite support feature.
- Pick what to backup and restore.
- Clone sites with the premium version.
- Count on scheduled and on demand backups.
Why Choose UpdraftPlus?
- Migration is an issue as you have to either be on the premium plan or purchase the migratory add-on.
- It is not a beginner-friendly option since it requires some technical skills.
02. My Repono
What makes My Repono WordPress backup plugin stand out is its pricing. There is no fixed plan since they charge according to the storage space you use in a day. The least amount is $0.02 per every GB storage and $0.20 for data transfer in a day, which makes it a great bargain for those using small spaces.
- You can back up one file or a whole folder
- Backups do not take much space because they are compressed
- Files can be restored on a need basis
- Back up as many sites as you have to
- Favorable for sites using smaller storage spaces
- You run the risk of losing your backup if the account balance is too low. It offers a grace period of seven days by placing the to-be-deleted backup on the Recover Deleted Backup section. Thereafter, the backup is deleted for good.
With Duplicator, you can clone, copy, and move a WordPress website. Works well for those who want to build a site on a local machine then moving it to the server. Duplicator has a free and pro version that ranges from $39-$349.
- Store in remote locations such as Google Drive, Dropbox, and FTP. It’s a great option for larger sites support.
- The search and replace feature saves time and handles many backups at one go.
- Get notifications via email for complete backup and other issues.
- Supports multiple sites.
- The pro version has the best features compared to the free version.
- With the use of MySQL, technical skills are a must, thus making it a challenge for beginners.
- Free version does not come with support.
04. Backup WordPress
This backup plugin capitalizes on the “shared hosting” feature to use low memory. It backs up the entire site plus plugins and database. It is easy to use, which makes it a favorite among beginners. Backup WordPress is completely free to use.
- It is free to use with no premium version.
- It can send backups via email when specified.
- The entire backup process is seamless and fast.
- With this backup plugin, you have approximately 12 language translations.
- Store your backup remotely in Amazon S3, Dropbox, Google Drive, and FTP.
- Compressed files result in fast backup process.
- Technical skills are required if you want to restore the backup
- Storage space used is huge since the entire site is backed up and eventually takes up more space.
BackupBuddy backs up your entire site and includes a number of features such as scheduling updates, updating plugins, and syncing. The backups can be stored in remote locations such as Dropbox or Rackspace and Stash which happens to be the company’s cloud-based service. With stash, you benefit from real-time backups. There is no free
version, and the starting price is at $80 per year, which goes up to $297 for the gold license.
- Schedules backups. Scans and checks for malware.
- Provides access to iThemes community plus free stash space.
- Sends email notification when the backup is complete.
- Evaluates the site and determines what component takes up most of the space.
- It also restores backups.
- Backs up an entire site completely.
- At a starting price of $80, it can be very expensive.
- There no multiple site support.
- In case you are not satisfied with the plugin’s services, there is no refund.
Is there a plugin that can be considered as the best among the five? The answer all depends on what you want. If freebies are what will work for you, we recommended Backup WordPress and UpdraftPlus. On the premium versions, you can stick with Duplicator and BackupBuddy. When deciding which one is the best WordPress backup plugin, factor in what you need the most. It is also important to consider the size of the business you run since smaller enterprises do well with BackupBuddy than others. Lastly, you should utilize the secondary storage locations to be on the safe side and ensure that your backup and website do not share the same server.